Not sure where to start? No worries, we have you covered! Earning a new LEED credential can be an exciting time and we are here to make the process as simple as possible for you.
For those of you that are new to the whole process we’ll begin with the basics!
LEED Green Associate Exam & Credential
A LEED Green Associate is a foundational professional credential which signifies ones core competency in green building principles. The LEED Green Associate exam is the first step in the credential process. In order to be able to take your LEED AP exam you will first need to take and pass the LEED Green Associate exam. Most students choose to take this exam first and then move onto their LEED AP exam, however for those of you brave enough, you do have the option to take a combined LEED Green Associate and LEED AP exam.
The LEED Green Associate exam measures general knowledge of green building practices and the supporting roles of each team member working on a LEED project. The LEED Green Associate exam is a 100 question multiple choice exam in which you have 2 hours to complete. The combined LEED Green Associate and LEED AP exam is a 200 question multiple choice exam (100 questions for the LEED Green Associate portion, 100 questions for the LEED AP portion) which you have 4 hours to complete. The cost of the LEED Green Associate exam is $250 ($200 for USGBC members, $100 for students) and the combined LEED Green Associate and LEED AP exam is $550 ($400 for USGBC members).
Once you have passed your exam you are required to earn 15 CE (continuing education) hours every reporting period (2 years) in order to maintain your LEED Green Associate credential. Of those 15 CE hours you will need to make sure that at least 3 of those hours are “LEED Specific”.
LEED AP Exam & Credential
A LEED AP is an advanced professional credential signifying expertise in green building and a LEED rating system. When earning your LEED AP credential you will need to choose a specialty which indicates your specialization within that rating system. Your specialty options include:
- LEED AP BD+C (Building Design + Construction) – For professionals with expertise in the design and construction phases of green buildings, serving the commercial, residential, education and healthcare sectors.
- LEED AP ID+C (Interior Design + Construction) – For professionals in the design, construction and improvement of commercial interiors and tenant spaces that offer a healthy, sustainable and productive work environment.
- LEED AP O+M (Operation + Maintenance) – For professionals implementing sustainable practices, improving performance, heightening efficiency and reducing environmental impact in existing buildings through enhanced operations and maintenance.
- LEED AP ND (Neighborhood Development) – For professionals participating in the planning, design and development of walkable, neighborhoods and communities.
- LEED AP HOMES – For professionals involved in the design and construction of healthy, durable homes that use fewer resources and produce less waste.
The LEED AP exam measures your knowledge of green building, a specific LEED rating system and the certification process. The LEED AP exam consists of 100 multiple choice questions which you have 2 hours to complete. The cost of the LEED AP exam is $350 ($250 for USGBC members) or $550 ($400 for USGBC members) for the combined LEED Green Associate and LEED AP exam.
Once you have passed your exam you are required to earn 30 CE (continuing education) hours every reporting period (2 years) in order to maintain your LEED AP credential. Of those 30 CE hours you will need to make sure that at least 6 of those hours are “LEED Specific” to your specialty.
Preparing for your LEED GA & LEED AP Exam
Studying for your exam can be a daunting task; however it doesn’t have to be! At GBRI we offer All-Inclusive packages that provide you with everything you need to prepare for your exam and pass it on the first try – guaranteed! Our exam prep material is designed to meet the learning needs of all individuals with material you can view live online, in-person or on-demand and can be watched, read or listened to! You can purchase this material for the low price of $199 for our Green Associate exam prep or $249 for our LEED AP BD+C or LEED AP O+M exam prep material (Green Associate package included for free with the purchase of either of our LEED AP packages).
Currently we offer All-Inclusive Exam Prep packages for the LEED Green Associate, LEED AP BD+C and LEED AP O+M exams. Each of our packages will come with:
- 1 year access to your online account – access the material online whenever is best for you!
- Study guide – study anytime by loading the PDF to your phone or tablet.
- Online presentations – can be viewed on-demand at any time.
- 7 Week roadmap – easy to follow so you know how all the material works together.
- Audio files – study anytime by loading MP3 audio files to your phone or music player.
- Mock exams – simulates the real exam so you know what to expect!
- Practice tests – 500+ practice test questions with explanations for each question to help you review and solidify your understanding.
- Handouts – for note taking or studying on the go.
- Flash cards – to help you memorize those hard to remember key terms.
- Memory charts – to make sure you pass the exam on the first try!
- 100% money back guarantee that you will pass your exam on your first try
- Remote tutor assistance – give you any extra support you need to pass your exam!
Our easy to follow roadmap will provide you with a 7 week plan to prepare for your exam. Our roadmap is flexible and even if you plan on using more or less than 7 weeks to study we still suggest you follow the outline so you stay on track. Life can get busy especially for a working professional, so to ensure studying doesn’t get pushed to the back burner we suggest your schedule your exam as soon as you have purchased exam prep material. We find that scheduling your exam and getting your exam date set often provides students with the extra motivation needed to keep studying.
As your exam gets closer remain calm. It is human nature to want to cram the information the night before your exam or the day of, however this is not recommended. During your last week of studying our material will help you identify which areas you need to work on so you can be confident when taking your exam.
During your exam
During your exam you will be provided a piece of paper, we recommend you use this for what is known as a “brain dump”. Write down any information you think may be important – calculations or specifications. Answer all the questions even if you’re not sure your answer is correct! Mark any questions you are unsure of so you can come back to them if time allows. Only review the questions you have marked, viewing all of them may cause you to second guess yourself.
After you have submitted your exam you will receive your test results. Within 48 hours your USGBC credential account will be updated and your LEED certificate will be available for download.