The coal industry is undergoing a transformation around the world. In some countries, it is scheduled for elimination over the next 10-20 years. In other countries, the industry is expanding.
The following sections provide a brief review of the coal industry in the U.S., offer an overview of the global coal industry, and present the arguments for and against maintaining or expanding the current levels of coal-fired energy. The United States is used as the discussion country for purposes of argument.
What you will learn
- Provide an overview of the history of the coal industry in the U.S.
- Offer a summary of the global coal industry
- Discuss the general economics of the coal industry
- Debate coal’s impact on the global climate
- Present the arguments for ending the use of coal to produce energy
- Provide the arguments against ending the use of coal to produce energy
- Review the impact of politics on the U.S. coal industry