In this course, we will primarily be looking at how various neighborhood conditions affect the inhabitants of those neighborhoods, focusing on the lifestyle impacts and available choices. We will frame these sustainable neighborhood design elements in terms of the credits from the LEED ND rating system, evaluating what projects must do to earn these credits, and how these interventions may affect public health and the environment.
We will compare these credits and interventions to determine which will have the greatest impact on the health and happiness of occupants, and which are easiest to implement. We will conclude by evaluating some examples of sustainable neighborhood projects, looking at what they did and how these decisions are affecting the current occupants and visitors.
What you will learn
- Describe how neighborhood design can influence occupant behavior & choices
- Analyze the impacts of neighborhood design on occupants and visitors
- Describe the LEED ND credits that relate to community health
- Evaluate neighborhood design strategies for effectiveness in improving community health
- Analyze case study projects