This course is an introduction and overview to the rapidly emerging field of Zero Energy Buildings (ZEB). We will compare and contrast the different definitions of a ZEB as well as learn how to carry out zero energy calculations. Additionally, we will discuss commercial and residential strategies used to reach zero energy, renewable energy options, and the associated costs of ZEBs. Several ZEB case studies – both commercial and residential – will be analyzed throughout the course to highlight the information presented. This course is ideal for green building professionals and students interested in gaining an overview of ZEB.
What you will learn
- Clearly distinguish between the different definitions of a Zero Energy Building
- Learn how to calculate if a building reaches Zero Energy for the different definitions
- Identify common strategies used for both residential and commercial Zero Energy Buildings
- Understand the different renewable energy options available for a Zero Energy Building
- Gain general insight to the associated costs for Zero Energy Buildings