Mercedes-Benz Stadium is all set to be the first NFL and MLS stadium to achieve LEED Platinum certification from the US Green Building Council. The Atlanta Falcon’s new home will also be the first sports facility to achieve all water credits available for LEED.
The venue’s management has also committed to further restore natural water systems wetlands and damaged watersheds. Through this effort, the stadium will purchase WRCs locally from the Flint River in Georgia’s water supply, providing for a 100% regional impact and monetary benefits for the local watershed.
Other sustainable building features include:
- Save 29 percent in energy usage compared to a typical stadium design
- Has 4,000 solar panels generating around 1.6 million kilowatt hours per year of renewable energy
- Electric car charging stations
- Onsite edible landscaping
- 680,000-gallon cistern used for water recapture and reuse for land irrigation
- 1 million gallon cooling tower