Innovation

• Carolina

June 1, 2022 at 8:55 am

Hi Jeslin, Felicia and mates!

Im not fully understanding the process of certification regarding Scoring: one can reach only 12 points per concept, but if you have more to add you can add them through Feature I01. Can you give me some examples, please? Thanks! See you all online tomorrow.

• Jeslin

Organizer
    June 1, 2022 at 1:44 pm

Hi Carolina,

We will discuss Innovations under week 5 session this Thursday but here are some thoughts. As we discussed under the first knowledge domain, WELL Projects must achieve all preconditions as well as a certain number of points to earn different levels of certification.

Per the WELL standard, projects may pursue no more than 12 points per concept and no more than 100 points total across the ten concepts. Innovation falls outside the 10 WELL concepts and Projects can also pursue an additional ten points under Innovation. Innovation is not a WELL concept in itself.

Let’s take an example now. Let’s say you are working on a project pursuing WELL certification. And with all the strategies the team has implemented, the project could earn 14 points under the Air concept. Since you are only allowed to earn a maximum of 12 points under Air, you can save the other 2 points and submit those features or parts not already pursued as innovations for Feature I01. If you think about it, you are still getting credit for it except under a different bucket. That’s all.

One thing we have to remember though is that these submissions under innovations are worth one point per part, regardless of the listed point value of that part. For example – let’s say your project is already well positioned to earn 12 points under the Movement concept and you could earn “v7.1 Provide Active Workstations” which is worth 2 points. You may submit this as a feature under innovation but can only earn 1 point for it. I will walk you through this during the class tomorrow.

Now if you think about it – If a project is aiming for WELL platinum certification – 80 points is all you need. When applying for WELL certification or for that matter LEED or any certification, its always advisable or strategic to apply for a few extra points so that there is enough cushion if a particular feature gets rejected during/after performance verification.

I am not just advocating for points but there is no extra incentive if a project earns more than what it needs beyond Platinum. As you would agree, a Project can always implement what they think is best to promote wellness of the occupants irrespective of the number of points they earn.

Jeslin

The journey to become a sustainability guru begins here!
Jeslin Varghese
gbri-logo

Sustainability education should not have any boundaries!

Register now to get started.

OR REGISTER WITH
GBRI is your #1 source for sustainability education with more than 250 courses to choose from!
gbri-logo

Welcome back!

Login to access your sustainability courses, certificates, badges, community and more!
OR LOGIN WITH