Mutual Aid for the students of Gulmit Gojal Hunza, Northern Areas of Pakistan

• Mutual Aid for the students of Gulmit Gojal Hunza, Northern Areas of Pakistan

Posted by Uzma on May 24, 2021 at 9:09 am

Introduction

Completion of education has always been hindered by a lack of resources and facilities particularly in the rural areas of a country. The region that I belong to is no exception, the development and advancement in various technological fields and infrastructures have improved the standard of education to some extent. I get to work closely with the mountain community in Pakistan through an NGO – NOMUS for Education & Health Organization as Youth Engagement coordinator. My work is primarily in the field of Education, Health, Culture, and Social Welfare Programs for Hunza which is a habitat to around 60,000 people.

Providing mutual aid positively impacts the lives of financially disadvantaged and vulnerable families in a community. Despite the progress by various NGOs, the community still faces problems like financial burdens and lack of financial stability, which as a result impedes the way to educational success.

An avid supporter of my community, with the collaboration of GBRI and I-believe, we have initiated a small project that will provide mutual aid to the 10 students by providing them their tuition fee for one month.

About Al-Amyn Model School Gulmit:

https://www.facebook.com/AL-Amyn-Model-School-Gulmit-Gojal-Hunza-2124777820876872/

This is the only community school in Gulmit village. The area where parents depend on agriculture to earn their living and seasonal occupations provided by tourism. The situation is worsened by the novel Coronavirus which has impacted almost all aspects of life around the world. Parents have been facing a huge hurdle in paying the tuition fee of their children.

This causes suffering for teachers and students in particular. With collaboration with the Al-Amyn Model School administration, we will provide mutual aid to the orphan students, whose parents have lost their jobs, and have health issues due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

List of Donors:

· i-Believe NGO, Las Vegas, USA

· GBRI, New York, USA

This initiative will surely help the students, school, and community is facing the hurdles of finance in the community school of Northern Areas of Pakistan. Moreover, it will help us feel empowered and encouraged that to the best of our capacity we are making difference even if at a small scale, especially during this Coronovirus pandemic.

Image 1: List of 10 students who need financial assistance in terms of tuition fees

image 2: Al-Amyn Model School Gulmit, Pakistan

Image 3: Al-Amyn Model School Gulmit, Pakistan (During Covid-19)

• This discussion was modified 1 year ago by  Uzma.
    • This discussion was modified 12 months ago by  Uzma.
    • This discussion was modified 12 months ago by  Uzma.
    Uzma replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jeslin

Organizer
    May 24, 2021 at 7:24 pm

Thank you Uzma for sharing this project from your community with all of us. It’s heartening to hear your involvement with various NGOs to serve the Hunza community. On behalf of GBRI and I-Believe, we will be delighted to support the scholarship. I hope this provides a bit of a relief to the families who are going through financially turbulent times.

• Uzma

May 27, 2021 at 5:10 pm
      Sustainability

Thank you Jeslin for provding the scholarships to 10 needy students of Al-Amyn Model School Gulmit, Gojal Hunza, Pakistan. Being a part of GBRI, I-believe and NOMUS, I have learnt a lot in contributing to the society we belong.

In this connection, the funds generated I believe is best utilized by investing in the education of youth (male/female). Hence in this project we supported 10 students for paying one month’s tuition fee at Al-Amyn Model School (List & Bank Statement Attached). Indeed this helped the parents and students particulary to have better future.

• Jeslin

Organizer
    May 31, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Uzma,

Thanks for sharing this. I am curious what happens if they fall short of one month of fees. Will these students be expelled? If that is the case, month to month is a bit of walking on a tight rope. Let me see if we can arrange some donors through i-believe to create a sustainable solution.

Jes

• Uzma

June 2, 2021 at 8:24 pm
      Sustainability

Indeed it is an alarming and challenging situation for the community-based school, yet I have a firm belief that with bits and pieces we can make a change. We can support our community in any possible way. I-believe is one of them and I appreciate the effort of I-believe NGO and GBRI.

Many individuals like me who belong to the community are also raising funds via various sources. One such example is here in the link below:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ctxehx-educational-support-fund?fbclid=IwAR3ogOng6oUZOdpX57Qixw4Dh5NPk2vBFaISMKijOwsuYL9C3CH-uBtmPJc

I am looking forward to supporting Al-Amyn School through I-believe and GBRI platform.

• Uzma

June 7, 2021 at 5:35 am
    Sustainability

On behalf of the administration of Al-Amyn Model School Gulmit, Hunza Northern Areas of Pakistan. I received a Thanksgiving letter (Attached herewith) today for the effort we made in providing mutual aid to needy students.

I am so honored and glad. Thank you once again Jeslin for providing me this opportunity. Looking forward to more projects like this. KUDOS!

The journey to become a sustainability guru begins here!
Jeslin Varghese
gbri-logo

Sustainability education should not have any boundaries!

Register now to get started.

By creating an account, I declare that I have read and accepted GBRI’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Please accept the Terms and Conditions to proceed.
OR REGISTER WITH
GBRI is your #1 source for sustainability education with more than 250 courses to choose from!
gbri-logo

Welcome back!

Login to access your sustainability courses, certificates, badges, community and more!
OR LOGIN WITH