We’ll explore urban ecosystems, ground zero for many plant invasions, to find out how they differ from surrounding natural areas and how they impact them. We’ll discuss how climate change will affect plant communities and their invaders. Finally, we’ll dive into a heated debate about the goal of conservation in the 21st century and the management of urban landscapes.
What you will learn
- Define the terms invasive, non-native, and native.
- Learn why some non-native plants become invasive and others don’t.
- Investigate the ecosystem services and disservices that different types of plants provide.
- Explore the interaction between human activity and plants in the urban ecosystem.
- Discuss the impact of climate change on native ecosystems and invasive plants.
- Discuss the goal of conservation in the 21st century.
- Look at the management of urban landscapes.