In part 1 of this course, we will apply the concepts of biophilic design, detailed in Biophilic Design: A Truly Sustainable Solution, to healthcare facilities. We will discuss how stress can impact the body’s ability to heal, and how access to nature can reduce stress in patients, visitors, and staff. Finally, we will talk about the current state of hospital design, design guidelines that aim to improve hospital design, and the theory of evidence-based design.
In part two of this course, we will explore the scientific evidence supporting the benefits of biophilic design in health care facilities and we will see three examples of hospitals that have already implemented biophilic design strategies. Finally, we will discuss why biophilic design in health care is especially important right now.
What You Will Learn
- Explore how access to nature and natural elements facilitates healing.
- Discuss the impact of stress on the body’s ability to heal.
- Uncover design features common in healthcare facilities today that inhibit healing and positive outcomes.
- Learn about the LEED standard for healthcare and the WELL Building Standard.
- Discover how evidence-based design and biophilic design can improve patient, family, and staff health and wellbeing in health care facilities