In part 1 of this course, we will apply the concepts of biophilic design, detailed in GBRI’s “Biophilic Design: A Truly Sustainable Solution”, to educational facilities. We will discuss what stress recovery theory and attention restoration theory can teach us about how to create a positive learning environment. Finally, we will talk about the current state of educational facilities, and the new theory of evidence-based design.
In part 2 of this course, we will explore the scientific evidence supporting the benefits of biophilic design to students and teachers and go through five examples of schools that are implementing biophilic design already. Finally, we will discuss why biophilic design in schools is especially important right now.
What You Will Learn
- Explore how access to nature and natural elements can affect our ability to learn.
- Uncover design features common in schools today that can be detrimental to learning.
- See powerful examples of biophilic design in educational facilities
- Investigate the existing scientific evidence supporting the use of biophilic design in educational facilities.
- Ask why biophilic design is important in schools now.